Art as Authority is a great local art blog. They just posted a thoughtful commentary on the NEA arts funding allocations here in San Diego with a nice level of detail as to what the money is getting spent on.
* La Jolla Music Society La Jolla, CA $17,500 CATEGORY: Access to Artistic Excellence FIELD/DISCIPLINE: Music
To support SummerFest, presentations of chamber music and jazz. Under the direction of music director and violinist Cho-Liang Lin and composer-in-residence Christopher Rouse, the festival will include premieres of commissioned works and educational activities.
* Media Arts Center San Diego (aka San Diego Latino Film Festival) San Diego, CA $15,000 CATEGORY: Access to Artistic Excellence FIELD/DISCIPLINE: Media Arts
To support the 17th San Diego Latino Film Festival. The films and videos exhibited are produced by Latinos or are about the Latino experience.
* Old Globe Theatre San Diego, CA $40,000 CATEGORY: Access to Artistic Excellence FIELD/DISCIPLINE: Musical Theater
To support the world-premiere production of Whisper House, a new musical with music and lyrics by Tony Award-winning composer Duncan Sheik, book and lyrics by Kyle Jarrow and directed by Keith Powell. Educational and outreach activities will accompany the production.
* San Diego Asian Film Foundation (aka San Diego Asian Film Festival) San Diego, CA $15,000 CATEGORY: Access to Artistic Excellence FIELD/DISCIPLINE: Media Arts
To support the 11th San Diego Asian Film Festival. Held in the fall, the 10-day event features short films, animated works, documentaries, and narrative feature films.
* San Diego Opera Association San Diego, CA $40,000 CATEGORY: Access to Artistic Excellence FIELD/DISCIPLINE: Opera
To support a new production of Verdi’s Nabucco. Activities designed around the production will include a student dress rehearsal for youth from schools in San Diego County and Tijuana, Mexico; pre-performance lectures; and an artists’ roundtable discussion.
* San Diego Repertory Theatre (aka San Diego REP) San Diego, CA $20,000 CATEGORY: Access to Artistic Excellence FIELD/DISCIPLINE: Theater
To support a residency by Latino theater troupe Culture Clash to create new works. Ensemble members Richard Montoya, Herbert Siguenza and Ric Salinas will rehearse and perform a newly revised version of Culture Clash in AmeriCCa, and develop, design, and perform the world premiere of A Weekend with Pablo Picasso.
* Theatre & Arts Foundation of San Diego County (aka La Jolla Playhouse) La Jolla, CA $25,000 CATEGORY: Access to Artistic Excellence FIELD/DISCIPLINE: Theater
To support a fully staged production of Shah Mat. A new play by Naomi Iizuka, the piece will explore the way in which recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have impacted the city of San Diego.
Read the entire commentary by Art as Authority.